A couple of years ago I went into a coffee shop in London and on the menu they had a guest espresso from “Jb Kaffee“. Puzzled, I asked if I could have the guest espresso as an espresso. He replied “sadly, we’re out and we won;t be getting anymore either, but I think this roaster is one of the best in the World”. Okay, I was curious – that was quite a profound statement and accolade. I forgot about this company for a while and then last year when I was looking for some new cafes to try in London, I saw Mother’s Milk, now located on 22-23 Little Portland St, London W1W 8BJ, advertised that they were serving Jb Kaffee. To quote them:
We only offer JB because we think it’s the cremé-de-la-creme and so tasty it’s actually nice.
JB Kaffee is Johannes Bayer and Johannes Bayer is a top notch coffee roaster in Schwabhausen, Schwabhausen was recently voted the “nicest smelling place in Germany”.
And I’m sure the coffee roasted there is one of the reasons for this.
Luckily for me, Mother’s Milk were selling bags and I quickly purchased an Ethiopian Kochere bag. In any case, my curiosity didn’t stop there – I started searching for them and hey presto!, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that I could purchaser their coffee online. Since late 2015, I’ve ordered at least three times and for Ramadhan, my treat was to order 1kg of their coffees; 500g of espresso and 2 filter blends.
So what do I like about them:
- Easy to order online even though their website is in German
- Delivery is fast with DHL, usually within a few days
- But what about the coffee:
- Wow! the aroma
- Wow! the taste
- Okay they roast pretty light, but my current brew at night is using the Colombian Antioquia san pascual with 16g with 240ml 90C on the hario V60 was, wait for it smooth like butter. Yes, there were other tastes but that sums it up.
- you can order by size, 250g, 500g and up
- And Wow! the price – not sure if I should say this, but definitely the best value for money for coffee of this quality in the World – check the prices yourself and gawp!
- And most of all, its delectable and different
So head to http://www.jbkaffee.de and if you’re struggling, consult a German friend you have.
I can’t say more, but, you’ve got to try this coffee.